Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Creating Habits

You are working towards the new you. Yes, new you. At least that's how I see it. This lifestyle shift is creating a better me. It took awhile but I take care of my temple. 

If you haven't figured it out yet, don't worry-it took me a long time to "get it", you are creating habits, healthy habits to better your temple.

The only way you're going to be able to celebrate the temple God gave you is by dropping the bad habits and creating new, healthier ones. If you want the habits to stick, start small and be consistent.

For me, I started walking in the morning. I started with two miles at first and made it to run/walk five miles. Eventually, I made to to run/walking 10-12 miles. It took a long time to get to that point. I'm still working at it. I do five to six miles just about everyday. I'm on a track or treadmill every morning. I am writing this as I walk around the track at the Monon Center in Carmel. And getting dirty looks from the old people who haven't seen me look up in the last mile.

The point is, positive change doesn't happen overnight. It takes time. It took a while to run/ walk for 90 minutes and not be totally winded. Early on, eight miles would wipe me out for the day or two. Now, I have a lot more energy and reduced stress. I haven't felt this good in years.

Start making positive changes. If you have a bunch you want to make, make a list and prioritize them. Be honest with your priorities. Do these goals for you, not for other people. Start with the habit with the highest priority and start doing it five to ten minutes a day. I didn't ask what the habit is. I don't care and it really doesn't matter to me. However, it should matter to you. I just want you to make postive changes that last.

After a couple weeks, increase it to ten to fifteen minutes. Eventually, this will be part of your daily routine. Once you're to the point where you do your habit each day without thinking about it or dreading it, introduce another one. Repeat the process.

That's how you create a habit.

LkM

No comments:

Post a Comment