Monday, February 4, 2013

Welcome to the Crew

Welcome to the Be FIT Crew!!  We are glad you are here and hope that you will join us as we journey through healthy living.

We aren't experts.  We aren't professionals in the nutrition or fitness field.  We are 3 people in different places on our healthy living journey.  What we know is that the support of others and being inspired by others is an important part of making healthy choices each day.

We want you to be part of the Crew!

Be F.I.T. Crew
Food that nourishes our bodies
Inspiring ourselves and others 
Training for an active lifestyle


Meet Leilan




My name is Leilan McNally. I'm a husband to one and a father to two. By day, I'm a project manager at a large corporation. Outside of that, I'm a runner, a biker, and a swimmer. 

I led a mostly sedentary life up until a couple years ago when I decided to see if a fat guy could complete a marathon without dying. I would start a running program or start swimming, then lose interest after a couple weeks. I was an "all in starter- too fast quitter." Some of you may have done that. I was the guy who would "push himself" on day three. I didn't realize that going from doing nothing to something was pushing myself. 

In late 2009, I realized I needed to make some changes and I signed up for my first marathon. Not being a real runner, this became a challenge. In November 2010, I became a marathoner. Running has become a part of my workout routine. I run almost everyday. For me, it's therapeutic. It's a stress reliever. 


My future plans are running 1500 miles in 2013. As of February 2nd, I've completed 120 miles. My long term goals are to become a member of the marathon organization Marathon Maniacs and completing an ultramarathon.


I'm looking forward to hearing your stories as well as sharing my running endeavors with you.  


Connect with Leilan on Twitter, Facebook, and his personal blog.


Meet Monica




Hey y'all! Monica here & I would, in a nutshell, describe myself as a busy devoted wife & mom of three boys that has an awesome opportunity to reclaim her inner athlete. That is right! I was a crazy loving track n field girl in high school & I loved the sport, so much that I promised myself that I would get married on a track. That did not happen & what happened, instead, after high school was life & bills & kids. So, my fitness & love of running got pushed to the back burner. 

I never did any sort of exercise program or running, for that matter, with any sort of routine or consistency until I decided to make a career change and become a nurse. Prior to this change, I would join a gym every now & again & run on a treadmill or do some group classes, but wouldn't stick with it. Before nursing school started, I realized that my lifestyle was unhealthy & I would need a stress reliever with all these changes. I also did not want to be a nurse that appeared unhealthy. I felt that it was important, for me, to be a model of health since my job is to promote health. I initially took up spinning and lost 20 pounds. Eventually, many of my friends began training for 5ks with the Couch to 5k plan & took up running to lose weight, so I jumped on board with them. The beauty of me becoming an avid runner since Sept. 2011 is I fell in love with running all over again. I have since competed in everything from a 5k to a marathon. I have also lost an additional 30 pounds and I am in better shape, now, then when I was in high school. I have even managed to be smaller...

My future goals are to run a marathon in every state & one day complete a few ultra marathons. :) There was a time in my life when I first began that it was a struggle to run more than two miles straight. I remember not being able to run the entire length of the downtown Indianapolis Canal & I have since completed two marathons. The one thing that I attribute to all of my success is consistency! Consistency pays in results, so if you start something...be consistent & keep at it! You will reach your goals & I am living proof!





Meet Liz




Hello!  I'm Liz.  I began my first real attempts at healthy living in 2010.  I became passionate about "clean eating" and also start running for the first time in my life.  I had never been athletic - I was always more of an artsy theatre-music type.  I played volleyball in high school for a couple of years and I did a few trips with our Outdoor Club (camping, hiking, white water rafting) but that was the extent of my activity in high school.  I was skinny so I assumed I was healthy - even though my activity level was pretty low and my diet was pretty bad.

I went to college and gained weight.  I got married and gained weight.  I got divorced and lost weight.  I got remarried and gained weight.  I got pregnant and had 2 kids and there was even more weight gain going on.  Before I knew it, I had hit 240 lb.  It is scary to put that number out there!  I started to dabble in getting healthy and was asked to blog for FitCity Indy (now defunct) and that kicked me into high gear!  I did Couch to 5K and started running in various 5K's, learned to love running in the cold and snow, and completed a half marathon.  But I never loved running.  I did, however, discover that I loved riding my bike! I've participated in a few cycling events in Brown Count - like the Girlfriend Ride in June.  

In 2012, life snuck up on me and some big changes in my job led to no more lunch hour workouts and lots of emotional eating.  And with it came back a good amount of the weight I had lost.  I was also sinking into the Big D - Depression.  Hearing that word made me get serious about my lifestyle.  I'm back on a food track that is focused on consuming lots of vegetables and fruit and I am even getting back to running.  I'm eager for the weather to change so I can get my bike out again!

I've been married for almost 10 years.  We have 2 great kids - our daughter is almost 8 and our son is 5.  I work full time at a desk job.  I'm very involved in my church and my faith is a big part of my healthy living choices.  My goal for 2013 is to stay focused on healthy living for the sake of staying far away from Depression, having more energy, and being more fun with my family.  I am signed up for several 5K's and will be looking for other fun events to try - I'm eager to try new exercise plans whenever I can!  

Connect with Liz on her personal blog, Twitter, or Facebook.

That's the Crew! 

We plan to have guest bloggers from the Indy area who can share tips with us about nutrition, activity, workouts, area gyms, local events, and more.  We want to share our own journeys and accomplishments and struggles.  And we want to get to know you - we want you to be part of our Crew!




No comments:

Post a Comment